Like, really different.
But still lovely.
I trucked to Roppongi for sunrise mass at 8 AM before work today, which meant I only got 4 hours of sleep this morning, but that just ended up justifying a nice Christmas trip to Starbucks after mass!
That being said, it was quite weird seeing the sun rise whilst riding a train jam-packed with commuters and business men to whom the words "Merry Christmas" mean very little. Sad, but true. Christmas at rush hour.
Now, church was small and relatively empty, but a friendly parish, despite the fire-and-brimstone sermon from the ancient priest. But it made me think... have you ever noticed the similarities between the American Dream and Jesus's life? Just food for thought. And wow, do I have to admit that a sermon about the hellish ideologies of the 20th Century (Nazism, Hitler, Communism) being compared to secularism and separation of church from government did not feel very Christmas-y to me.
So instead I found my Christmas joy talking after mass to the really awesome deacon Russell who happened to live about 5 minutes away from me in Astoria back in the day!
However, there was one major difference in this service (despite being in English and foreigner-heavy) that blew my mind. People didn't TOUCH each other at the sign of peace. No handshakes, no hugs, not even amongst family members.
HUH?
Seriously, they all bowed to each other and said "peace be with you", which of course I wasn't quite prepared for, and therefore was quite awkward when I attempted to shake the woman behind me's hands. Yeah, that was weird.
And I've definitely been in Japan too long, because when the priest said "the body of Christ" to me, I almost said "Onegaishimasu" (Please) and/or "Arigato Gozaimasu" (Thank you) and bowed instead of "Amen". Luckily my brain fart only lasted about 3 seconds, but the indecision felt like forever!
But, many things were the same, the Christmas carols, the simple setting, and mostly the Christmas peace and connection I felt with my family. If only I could have found a midnight mass!
The rest of the day was delightful. I did two shows and was completely GENKI during all of the Christmas parts (since it was our closing day). My favorite part, however, is that no matter how silly or stupid or goofball we were during any of the Christmas section, we never got notes. However, during my last show, in the opening speech I added, "Thank you, ladies and gentleman, Merry Christmas, and welcome to our tribute to swing jazz, Big Band Beat". And I GOT FREAKING DAME'D about it. Because, apparently, it's really really really bad to welcome people on Christmas Day by saying Merry Christmas during a CHRISTMAS version of our show.
But shouting "Feliz Navidad" after the show is over into your mic, and changing the choreography, and full on screaming at Santa onstage is okay.
Yeah, color me confused.
I slept most of the afternoon to compensate for my early morning, and the whole cast had an amazing potluck dinner for Christmas which was MUCH better than our trip to Roppongi for Thanksgiving. Side note: I find it ironic that my whole intention on Christmas was not to go to Roppongi again, and I ended up there for Mass. HA!
My cranberries were a hit (as expected), and now the real magic of Christmas begins with Skype, sleeping, and more Skypeing and presents in the morning. WOO HOO!
As that random elf in Savannah would say:
ARITE CHRISTMAS!

1 comment:
I just read your posts and during the sign of peace in the States (at least in New England) per order of someone (church or health dept) no touching has been allowed due to fear of swine flu...only saying peace be with you or bowing your head...not saying that is what happened in to you in Tokyo, but that same weirdness is happening here as well!
Post a Comment