Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Perfectly Placed

I learned a few important things today:

1. Mickey and Minnie are the cutest when they do impromptu ad libs. For example, Minnie telling Mickey to cover his eyes, and then running away when he clearly expects a kiss as he does it, and then seeing the surprise on his face (even though he can't change emotions) when he sees she's not there for their final kiss/bow? Well, that's just amazing.

2. Have I mentioned Mickey on security cam? When he's showing off and dancing around cuz he knows you're watching him on the video screen? Yeah. I can Candid Camera the Mickster. Ha.

3. If you hug a giant white cat, even though it has your human friend inside it and isn't made out of real cat hair, it will still shed ALL OVER your black tux. Which doesn't make the costumers very happy. Nor does forgetting your vest when you have to ride up from the orchestra pit. Though Japanese SM's can run REALLY FAST.

But anyway,

I woke up today and it was raining outside. Not really raining. Just enough to make you wish you could stay in bed all day.

Which I couldn't, even though it should've been my day off. But I didn't really mind since I had had one of those great sleeps where you wake up refreshed, and it included that nice little semi-wake up an hour early when you realize you get more sleep and said "extra" sleep doesn't leave you feeling worse like it sometimes can!

And I knew I was getting breakfast across the street at the bakery since they were closed yesterday. Which is just delicious.

Anyway, the rain somehow didn't bother me on the way to work and even left me in a good mood.

And I was hoping against hope for B shift. Something about the thought of going back to sleep or simply resting for the first few hours of work just seemed delightful.

Which is odd because we all usually crave A shift since you only have to do 2 shows and then have all afternoon to chill. But I really wanted to curl up and read and nap and do shows once I felt more awake. And luckily, I got it!

And so, after pluggin in my earbuds, jamming out to Next to Normal and curling up on our futon, I was out for the majority of the first show. Yoga left me stretched out and relaxed without being too zen, and then at lunch I had a delicious udon soy soup that had grated yam on the top and was basically like having grits in your soup. Weird, I know, but actually quite tasty!

And somehow that all added up to the usually-gross-and-food-coma-tose third show instead feeling like it was just "perfectly placed". Like that awesome song they added for the stage production of "Poppins". It just was practically perfect in every way. Well-executed, the right amount of energy without crossing the line, and simply a lot of fun.

And that's where that ended. By the fourth, and especially fifth shows, I still felt perfectly placed, but somehow my brain decided to play tricks on me and make mistakes. Like forgetting my vest, or singing alternate melodies (aka BAD ones) because I was doing new gestures, or full on doing the choreography on the wrong foot. It's not that anything was really bad; it was just comical that my body and brain had different ideas about how to do the show.

Nonetheless, the day was a lot of fun, and it was really nice to feel that perfect placement in the show, rather than being overhyped or on comatose autopilot or worst of all, not really wanting to be onstage.

Though truly, since I love what I do, that really doesn't happen very often unless I'm in a right cruddy mood.

And, now, as you can see, I am inspired and motivated to update rather than not feeling up to it for three days. And so, I think this blog might just also be "perfectly placed".

No comments: