ACTION = EQUALITY
I'm not really a political person. I have my views, many of which I fervently believe, but I rarely make the effort to speak out for what I believe, beyond the confines of the occasional political discussion.
But I'm choosing to combat the complacency within myself and speak out.
Because I refuse to look back down the road in 20 years and marvel at my own complacency.
Because I watched a movie today that exposed the hate and violence and prejudice that is rampant in our country today, that was so offensive it made me cry.
Because if Sutton Foster and Gavin Creel can speak out, so can I.
How would our nation be different if we hadn't fought for civil rights for people of all races? Or for men AND women? How bigoted would we remain? And yet, how bigoted do we still remain?
My life as a performer has exposed me to many blessings and struggles, both mine and those of the people around me. And my many travels have exposed me to different cultures, different religions, different political beliefs, and different ways of life.
And I fervently believe it is time for us to speak out and fight for Equal Rights for all in the United States.
We currently live in a country where millions of people are denied marriage rights, health care privileges, and the ability to create a family. Because they were born differently, and love someone of the same sex. Contrary to much of the propaganda being spewed out across our nation, they cannot choose or change this fact any more than Martin Luther King, Jr. could choose or change the color of his skin.
We are dealing with a civil rights issue. We are living in a nation of injustice where people are being denied their civil rights. They are denied the freedoms of marriage, insurance, adoption, and tax benefits the rest of the citizenry enjoy. People in our nation are still being treated as second-class citizens.
I was raised in the Catholic church. I understand as well as anyone what the man upstairs feels about same-sex relationships.
But this isn't a religious issue.
This is our government.
Our civil government. Where religion is supposed to be a free choice. In a nation with religions that do not believe same-sex marriage is wrong.
So why are we still denying a minority its equality? Because Christianity and other religions who do not wish to marry same-sex couples are the majority? How much in 95% of the population's lives would really change if two women were allowed to go to City Hall and say "I do"?
I am speaking out. Because I am living in a country where love and relationships are kept private behind closed doors. Where homosexuality is secret and hidden and kept from view. Where people of different skin colors are treated differently. People who aren't sitting at the back of the bus, but are standing on the side of the road left in the dust because they don't look like the majority of the population.
Because I cannot lend my voice to shout for Equality in the March on Washington on October 11th, 2009.
And so instead I am starting the conversation. I am asking you, my family and friends, rich or poor, black or white, gay or straight, to take a step back and ask yourself what you have to lose by fighting for equality for everyone. How different will our country be when we stop arguing over religion and morals, and extend marriage and health care to everyone, not just the straight and the rich?
40 years ago, a mixed race man could never have been President. Hopefully in 40 years, we will have an out and proud President, or just as great, a straight President proud to be born to and raised by married same-sex parents, looking back inspired by those of us who used our voices to fight for Equality for all.
Call your senator. Write your senator. Donate money. Visit BroadwayImpact.com. Talk to the Human Rights Campaign. March on Washington 10.11.09.
Because just think. If you were being denied equality because you were different and a minority, wouldn't you want people championing for your equality?
What do we want? Equal Rights. When do we want it? Right now.

No comments:
Post a Comment